We took, or I should say 'I' took Scarlett's paci away today. I was going to do it Monday. But this morning she gave up her paci like nothing. I knew she would do good during the day while she was awake. It was naps and bedtime I really worried about. Nap went fairly well. I guess that's because I felt awful about taking something so special to her away. I let her lay in my bed and watch the Jungle Book until she fell asleep. It was still a fight. She asked for paci several times. I just kept her distracting every time she asked. Lots of hug and love! She did wake up a grump though. She couldn't find her paci. I offered her a popsicle instead. That made her happy and she went about her merry way. Bedtime was a completely different story. It took an hour and ten minutes to get her to sleep. She didn't ask for her paci until 40 minutes in though. So I took that as a good sign. She tossed, turned, cried, scractched, ran her teeth against the safety rail on her bed and drank the water in her sippy cup. She doesn't usually go to bed with a sippy but I figured I was taking her paci she needed something in return. She wasn't happy about the water and told me several times "not very good mommy". She had me hold her, pat her, read an extra story and then hold her sippy for her. Yes I laid in bed with her. I couldn't just turn out the light, say prayers and good night and walk out knowing she was going to be so upset over losing something so near and dear. But, all in all, we survived the first day and I have high hopes for day 2.
She did pretty good! I remember my mom was watching my cousin's daughter while they went on a cruise and they asked her if she could get rid of the paci it would be great! My mom has a Rottweiler and she told her that the dog ate it and that was the end of that! If only it was always that easy!
ReplyDelete