Monday, September 24, 2012

Happy Painting!

This weekend I decided that I would try my hand at making watercolor paints, courtesy of pinterest.   Tonight, they were finally set enough to use so the kid gave them a try. 
 
I started Friday night by putting the mixture together. It was simple enough.  Here's what I used.... 

4 tbsp baking soda
2 tbsp white vinegar
1/2 tsp white corn syrup
2 tbsp corn starch
food color
container to keep paints in



Mix together the baking soda and white vinegar.  You can use a small bowl, but make sure its big enough for the fizz!  Once it's all mixed together and the fizzing has stopped, add in the corn syrup and corn starch.  Stir until the corn starch dissolves ( I think I should have stirred mine longer!) Pour into the container of your choice.

I found these nifty little containers at the local dollar store. They worked perfectly.  You can also use a mini muffin tin, egg carton, etc.
 
Now it's time to add in the coloring.  I used regular liquid food coloring. The colors came out gorgeous while mixing but lightened up after drying.  You can also use the little gel food colors. Whatever you have on hand should work.
 
Now, you need to let your paints set.  This can take up to 3 days.  Mine looked pretty much set around day 2 but I went ahead and waited it out for day 3.
 
My Sweet Boy was ready to paint!
If your paint sets up like mine, you will need to be sure to use plenty of water.  If not,  the paint dries quickly and becomes waxy.
 
Overall, the paints turned out well for us.  There was a slight texture to the paint when dry but I think that is because I failed to stir long enough.  I have a feeling my corn starch was not as dissolved as it should have been.  The kids really enjoyed the paints and they were less mess than any of the wet paints we have used, which is a BIG PLUS in my book.
 
Enjoy!
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment