Friday, May 1, 2009

26 weeks and Growing

I had my 25/26 week prenatal appointment on this past Wednesday. Today I hit 26 weeks even. I am so excited. I can not believe that I only have 14 weeks left out of a 40 week pregnancy. Time is flying by so fast. Scarlett keeps me busy and I am sure that is why. When I was pregnant with her it seemed like time drug on and she was never going to be here.

Ok, so back to the appointment. Everything checked out well. Ian's heartbeat clocked in at 160 and then he started kicking and punching at the doppler. At least we were able to get a heartrate this time. Last time he wiggle so much Dr. F had to break out the ultrasound machine!

Great news on the 1 hour glucose test. I PASSED. I am super happy about this. I did not want to go back and take a 3 hour test and get stuck 4 times. That's right 4 times in 3 hours. I do however have a low iron count of 10. It was to be expected and I am once again on an iron supplement this pregnancy. No biggie!

The bad news. It's not so bad. I have GERD brought on by pregnancy. GERD is gastroesophageal reflux disease. It is similar to acid reflux and can have all sorts of symptoms from heart burn to sore throats, to difficulty swallowing, to bad breath. My one and only symptom was a burning sensation in my throat. It was not everyday but it still bothered me. Even woke me out of my sleep the other night. The way my nurse practioner described goes like this 'the esophagus at the top of the stomach loosens and does not do its job properly, therefore the acid from my stomach backs up into my throat and causes a burning sensation.' She immediately wrote me a prescription for ranitidine (or zantac) that I am to take twice a day. It's only been 2 days but so far no burning.

While I was there I decided to ask if it was ok to push mow the yard while pregnant. She was all for it. She did recommend being extremely careful of my posture when I mow so that I don't bring on added back pain. (too late!) I know better for next time. Also, to try and only push mow when the weather is nice so that I do not overheat. And just like any other time, drink plenty of water to prevent dehydration. From here on out I will probably let Rassie mow the grass (if he's home).

Little Ian is still moving and wiggling. I first thought he was going to be more active than Scarlett was but now I am not so sure. Scarlett liked to do lots of flips and turns while she kicked and moved about. Ian is more of a kicker and a puncher. I feel him mostly at night. Probably because I stay active during the day, running around the house with Scarlett. As time goes on I am sure he will start doing more flips but for now he's mellowness is just fine.

So that's my update for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment