
(a little late but trying to get back in the swing of this thing)
Rassie "Lane" arrived on Friday, July 31st at 5:07 pm. He was 8lbs 11 oz and 20 in long. He is just the cutest thing EVER. I will update a little later with pictures and the labor story! My usb cord is still packed in the car.
I got to the hospital Thrusday night at 11 to get all checked in. We went over paperwork, signed all the consent forms, changed, and hooked up to all the monitors. Got my IV in, the nurse did an awful job and depending on how I turned my hand the IV would actaully drip. It did get better though. They drew blood for labs and at midnight they gave me a pill by mouth to help ripen the cervix. The nurse almost didn't give me the pill because I was already contracting when I checked in. They were painless and irregular so I figured they were just braxton hicks, but nope! They were real. I tried to get some sleep but between the baby's heartbeat pounding away on the monitor and Rassie snoring I didn't get much. At 4 am they came in and started pitocin, at 5:30 they upped it but not much at all. I wasn't hurting but she went ahead and gave me some meds to help me sleep. I wasn't really progressing, just at 1. woo hoo..lol. At about 8:20 on Friday morning I was on the phone with my mom. I felt what I thought was the baby kicking and all of a sudden I peed myself, not really! It was my water breaking. I felt like it would never stop. Everytime I moved or contracted another gush came out. I sat there laughing to my mom on the phone because I felt a little embarassed..ha ha..
The contractions started getting painful now. They were still irregular though. I would have 3, go 5 minutes, have 1.. go 5 minutes have 3 more contractions and sometime I would go almost 10 minutes!!!! I asked for some pain meds by IV and they worked wonders. Knocked me right out and I was actually able to sleep THROUGH the contractions. When it would start to wear off I would get up and go to the bathroom. The walking and relieving my bladder really helped with the pressure and the pain. The anestesiologist came in and tried to coax me into an epi. Because of the scar tissue on my cervix I was progressing extremely SLOW! My OB didn't want to pressure me but she knew it would move things along. I kept turning him down, I was hanging in there so far. He came in my room SIX times to offer the epi!!!! Then around 4 they checked me and I was at 4 cm. They were about to cut me off on the IV meds and that really scared me because that was the only thing that kept me going through all the pain. I was sitting on the toilet crying to Rassie begging for him to call my mom, telling him how I wanted the epidural but was way too scared! Yeah, talk about entertaining.
So I gave in, they gave me a mini dose of IV meds to help knock me out some and calm me down so they could do the epi. It didn't hurt at all. I think what made me panic is feeling something move around in my back while he put it in. So they got the epi in around 4. Rassie left to grab a bite to eat. The doctor came back and checked me. I was at a 7. She rubbed some of the scar tissue lose and I made it to an 8. She said to call Rassie and tell him to come back and we would start pushing. So she and the nurses set me up all up, Rassie made it back and it was definitely time to go! I pushed for 3 contractions and he was out. I was a little worried at first because he didn't cry right away. But finally he did and I got to hold him while Rassie cut the cord. Come to find out the cord was around his neck but really lose so that's why it took him a little to cry. She had to get him untangled and suctioned out. He made his grand entrance at 5:07 pm and was just perfect! I still can't believe I gave into an epidural. That was a really big deal for me, but looking back, he probably would have been here sooner!
Scarlett is loving her baby brother! He was slightly jaundice on Sunday morning but nothing they were too worried about so we finally got to come home. He's not the greatest eater yet and we're using formula. My colustrum still has not even come in, my breast are not sore, tender or leaking! But because of the jaundice he needs to be eating something. I didn't produce with Scarlett either. I'm going to talk to a lactation consultant on Wed. but we'll see how that goes and how my breasts are by then.
I got to the hospital Thrusday night at 11 to get all checked in. We went over paperwork, signed all the consent forms, changed, and hooked up to all the monitors. Got my IV in, the nurse did an awful job and depending on how I turned my hand the IV would actaully drip. It did get better though. They drew blood for labs and at midnight they gave me a pill by mouth to help ripen the cervix. The nurse almost didn't give me the pill because I was already contracting when I checked in. They were painless and irregular so I figured they were just braxton hicks, but nope! They were real. I tried to get some sleep but between the baby's heartbeat pounding away on the monitor and Rassie snoring I didn't get much. At 4 am they came in and started pitocin, at 5:30 they upped it but not much at all. I wasn't hurting but she went ahead and gave me some meds to help me sleep. I wasn't really progressing, just at 1. woo hoo..lol. At about 8:20 on Friday morning I was on the phone with my mom. I felt what I thought was the baby kicking and all of a sudden I peed myself, not really! It was my water breaking. I felt like it would never stop. Everytime I moved or contracted another gush came out. I sat there laughing to my mom on the phone because I felt a little embarassed..ha ha..
The contractions started getting painful now. They were still irregular though. I would have 3, go 5 minutes, have 1.. go 5 minutes have 3 more contractions and sometime I would go almost 10 minutes!!!! I asked for some pain meds by IV and they worked wonders. Knocked me right out and I was actually able to sleep THROUGH the contractions. When it would start to wear off I would get up and go to the bathroom. The walking and relieving my bladder really helped with the pressure and the pain. The anestesiologist came in and tried to coax me into an epi. Because of the scar tissue on my cervix I was progressing extremely SLOW! My OB didn't want to pressure me but she knew it would move things along. I kept turning him down, I was hanging in there so far. He came in my room SIX times to offer the epi!!!! Then around 4 they checked me and I was at 4 cm. They were about to cut me off on the IV meds and that really scared me because that was the only thing that kept me going through all the pain. I was sitting on the toilet crying to Rassie begging for him to call my mom, telling him how I wanted the epidural but was way too scared! Yeah, talk about entertaining.
So I gave in, they gave me a mini dose of IV meds to help knock me out some and calm me down so they could do the epi. It didn't hurt at all. I think what made me panic is feeling something move around in my back while he put it in. So they got the epi in around 4. Rassie left to grab a bite to eat. The doctor came back and checked me. I was at a 7. She rubbed some of the scar tissue lose and I made it to an 8. She said to call Rassie and tell him to come back and we would start pushing. So she and the nurses set me up all up, Rassie made it back and it was definitely time to go! I pushed for 3 contractions and he was out. I was a little worried at first because he didn't cry right away. But finally he did and I got to hold him while Rassie cut the cord. Come to find out the cord was around his neck but really lose so that's why it took him a little to cry. She had to get him untangled and suctioned out. He made his grand entrance at 5:07 pm and was just perfect! I still can't believe I gave into an epidural. That was a really big deal for me, but looking back, he probably would have been here sooner!
Scarlett is loving her baby brother! He was slightly jaundice on Sunday morning but nothing they were too worried about so we finally got to come home. He's not the greatest eater yet and we're using formula. My colustrum still has not even come in, my breast are not sore, tender or leaking! But because of the jaundice he needs to be eating something. I didn't produce with Scarlett either. I'm going to talk to a lactation consultant on Wed. but we'll see how that goes and how my breasts are by then.




He is so cute Amber!
ReplyDelete