Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Baby Girl is Sick

Scarlett woke up with a fever Monday morning. I got it down but it never went away completely. She went about her day eating, drinking and playing. I put her in bed last night only to get up by 11:40 to her running a fever of 103.8. I managed to get it down, get her hydrated and back to sleep. Later in the night she ended up with a 104.5 fever. It took me a bit to get it down but I managed. Her nose has been running like crazy but stuffy at the same time.

I called in to get her an appointment this morning, basically to be told they didn't need to see her for flu like symptoms. I was a little upset considering her fever had spiked so high and I have a 3 week old at home. I gave it some time and around lunch she was fussing every time she took a bite, like her throat was hurting. I called in again and said I think she might be coming down with strep and that was all it took. They made an appointment.

At Scarlett's appointment they listened to her heart, checked her ears and throat and said it was just a respiratory infection. She has lots of phlegm and drainage but it has not gone into her ears, chest or caused strep throat yet so all we are to do is treat the fever and keep her hydrated. Tonight she's come down with a tummy ache and diarrhea. She's sleeping for now but I will be watching her closely and waking her to alternate Tylenol and Motrin throughout the night. I do not want another round of 104 temps to spike tonight! I also have a decongestant that is supposed to clear everything up that was prescribed before and is still good. I was told I could give it to her to help with her breathing so she can sleep and to help clear things up before the drainage ends up where it should not be and causes an infection or worse.

It has been quite the night/day to be a mommy all alone taking care of a sick toddler and a newborn. Thankfully, Daddy will be home tomorrow and I'm sure he will help give our babies all the love they need. Keep Scarlett in your thoughts that this passes quick, I know we all hate when our babies are sick. No matter how big or small.

Other than that, all is good with the new family of 4!

1 comment:

  1. hang in there! sick babies are the worst! I will keep you guys in my thoughts that she starts feeling better... and that no one else gets it!!

    ReplyDelete