Scarlett took her first does of ICAR tonight. She threw a fit about taking it. She's been on a medication for her cough and it's got a bad after taste. She was afraid thats what I was giving her. But the ICAR is grape flavored. It actually smells really good and I tasted a drop, it's not bad. Hopefully tomorrow she'll do better. If not I might mix it with a swallow of juice and drink it from a little dixie cup. I think that will intrigue her.
I am really hoping this iron isn't too harsh on her system. But any of us who needed extra iron while prengnat know what it can do to you. Nausea, hard stools, the works! We're going out to get her Benefiber for kids in the morning. Oddly I couldn't find it at Walgreens or CVS but a friend said they buy it at Target so looks like we'll be making a pit stop there. I'm also trying to up her water intake and fiber into her diet period.
We also have to get on a good breakfast/lunch/supper schedule. Since she has to take it twice a day and I have to work it out so that she doesn't get her milk allowance within 2 hours of taking it I have to be careful. I have been working on phasing morning milk out so I think we're good there. But she likes a cup of milk before she brushes her teeth and goes to bed so she would have to take it and eat by 6!
After all the fuss over the ICAR it is an over the counter rx but even the doctor thought it was supposed to be scrip only. The higher doses are prescribed but our insurance doesn't cover it period. CVS made us mad and we switched to Walgreens. They quoted us $25 a bottle vs. $30. I thought that was great. Went to pick it up and it was $36 a bottle and because the doctor had actually written a script they tried to sell us all 5 bottles needed at once for a total of about $169. They refused to break it up for us, I couldn't pay that much today and so I walked out. We ended up at the Scott & White hospital pharmacy and it was only $27 and they had it in stock!!! They didn't have to order woo hoo! Even better, the pharmacy tech who checked me out thought I was an S&W employee. I even told her I didn't work at the hospital but she insisted on giving me the employee discount anyways. I ended up only having to pay $17 and she said to come back to her next month and she would help out with the discount again. I thought that was super nice of her.
I could go on somemore but my little man just woke up crying. He's still not feeling well. Poor little man. So I'm off to get him from daddy and see if I can't get him back to sleep. G'night. Dream Sweet.
Return to Zero
12 years ago



I hope Scar gets used to the extra iron soon. That is awesome that S&W is helping you out sooo much! That is awesome!
ReplyDeleteThat's awesome that lady gave you a discount! That was really nice! Don't blame Scarlett for not wanting to take the yucky medicine!
ReplyDelete