I learned that my sweet little girl Scarlett is a milk-o-holic. Wednesday she was complaining of her stomach hurting again. This time she balled up on the couch and cried. I felt just awful so I called and got yet another appointment. On top of that she had a horrible cough and congestion thing going on. Once again her pedi ruled out any problems with the herniated umblical. He also did a urine analysis that came back normal. He had a CBC drawn on her. I was so proud of her. I was really worried about how she would react to giving blood but she didn't even flinch when they did the stick. We had 2 wonderful ladies. Scarlett is anemic. And much to my surprise it was due to too much milk. Scarlett drinks milk like its going out of style. I can rarely get her to drink anything else. Now I am only allowed to give her 12 oz or less a day. As babies/children get older they are no longer able to digest milk as well and too much milk can cause adverse affects such as stomach cramping and anemia. They tend to see this alot in little ones who love their milk. I feel so awful like I should have known better. But now I do and we can fix the problems. I am really hoping the milk was the cause of her stomach hurting so much lately. As for the anemia, she is now on 3ml of liquid iron 2 x a day for the next 3 months. They are going to recheck her labs in 3 weeks to see how things are progressing.
As for the cough and congestion, her pedi prescribed a decongestant. He said because of her anemia it is easier for her to get infections and it always seems like she has a respiratory virus going on. The past few nights have been pretty sleepless. The meds seem to be working but at the same time Scarlett has coughing spells where she coughs until she throws up all the phlegm. Along with getting everything messy and having to clean up it really upsets her. She cries and cries because she doesn't understand what happen and just keeps asking "why I spit up?" Yesterday I held her most of the day while she just laid there and rested or slept. Today she felt alot better but still had a couple coughing spells. No more fever though. Thank God. So far tonight, she's in bed and I've heard no coughing. I also didn't give her milk before bedtime because it's thick and can irritate all the phlegm. I just want her to get over it and feel better. I wish I could take all her misery away and I would take her place in a heartbeat if I could.
Lane has been pretty fussy latelyt too. Cutting 2 teeth! One of the two nights Scarlett has been up Lane was too. Thankfully today he wasn't fussy and didn't even need tylenol. He was a slobber king though!
Say a prayer that my two babies feel better soon. Scarlett to get over being sick and Lane to cut his teeth quickly with less fuss. G'night and Sweet dreams!
Return to Zero
12 years ago



I'm glad it's been figured out what is up with Scarlett and now it can be fixed. Sorry you dont' get as much milk anymore, Scarlett! Hopefully once this is all better she'll be feeling great again!
ReplyDeleteBless them! I hope things even out for them and they both get better! And don't worry about not thinking of the milk thing... I never would have thought too much milk could be bad! Addyson is a juiceaholic... she loves milk but she wants juice or "water-tea" all the time!!
ReplyDelete